On the road

On the road

Sunday, September 12, 2010

The kind of man who reads Playboy 1969

When I was in the 8th grade or so, there was my good looking ( at least to a 13 year old ) blond next door neighbor. She was in high school, but always seemed to go out with much older guys. I wonder if now, with her being in her fifties I guess,does she now find it better to go out with much younger men. Funny how life is.
I remember sitting on the front porch one day contemplating how unfair it is to have to go through puberty,when a guy ( I suppose her boyfriend, or more likely just a date, I didn't know the difference,) pulled up in a '69 Mustang Boss 302. I remember the C-stripe on the side. The 1970 Boss 302 had a hockey stick stripe, so I know it was the much rarer 1969.
He seemed like he was a pretty cool guy. Not the hippie type of the time, but a guy with Sean Connery type hair with the then fashionable sideburns and a turtleneck complete with a blazer. He probably had a "bachelor pad" somewhere on Gaston Avenue or maybe over by the then hopping Love Field, much like the "swinging single guy"digs one would read about in Playboy. I'm thinking in 1969 he was much like"The kind of man who reads Playboy,"as the magazine would advertise at the time.
I'm not sure whatever happened to the guy, but the girl got a mid-year Corvette later on which to this 13 year old, made her much better looking than before!
I believe that later on in life she went through the usual job dissapointments, out of control kids, and troubled marriages. Tearful nights, angry dawns as Carol King would later write. But in the summer of '69, the whole world was watching, and it was good.
Now Ford is coming out with an 2011 Boss 302. Ford can do no wrong nowadays.
A 1969 Boss 302 would go for 100K+ at the Barrett-Jackson auction. If you find one in a barn, buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment