On the road

On the road

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Ground Zero,Pearl Harbor

Some of the events this writer remembers, the day Kennedy was shot and watching Walter Cronkite crying as I was home sick from the second grade that Friday. I remember sitting  in my parents den building a model airplane when Martin Luther King was murdered, and the death of Bobby Kennedy, watching Walter Cronkite telling the story.
The night in July 1969 when we landed on the moon. Walter Cronkite again, everybody watched Cronkite back then.The images of an American helicopter in May 1975 landing on the roof of the American embassy in Saigon taking the last U.S. government workers to safety.
The night a bunch of us SWAT guys were watching the first Gulf War happening on real time in 1991 on a TV at the station.
Being at a PT test at Fair Park when Rich Emberlin came up to me and asked if I had heard a plane had hit a building in NYC. He was listening to a radio while running.
Watching the buildings collapsing in my office surrounded by other officers crowding around the TV.
The panic that set in with the City ( all cities) after the attack.
The first time I visited Pearl Harbor.
The only time I visited Ground Zero.

No comments:

Post a Comment